Monday, May 14, 2007

DE Squat May 14

DE Squat

Warmed up with ballistic and dynamic movements. Did some toe touches with alternating hand rapidly, Lunges bringing elbow to knee (or at least trying to), snatch squats, zercher squat leans, squat cleans, lunges, and lying hip and back stretches.

Box Squat with Bands (Mini + Monster Mini):
2 sets 5 x 135, 2 sets 3 x 185, 2 sets 2 x 245 (according to the info on elite this probably added 70 pounds at the bottom and 130 pounds at the top.)

Barbell Back Squat:
5 x 135, 3 x 185, 20 x 225, 20 x 185, 20 x 135

Seated Good Mornings:
3 sets 10 x 135

45 Degree Back Raise:
5 sets 10 x bodyweight

Seated Calf:
3 sets 10 x 90

45 Degree Calf:
2 Sets 10 x 270 (explosively)

Standing Ab Hold With Band:
10 X Average, 8 x Average, 6 x Average (All held for 5 count)

Side Bend Press Downs:
15 x 190, 15 x 200, 15 x 210

Attempted Farmers Walk with Straight Curl Bar 180 pounds per side. Gave up after losing balance on each side. Will try again tommorow.

This was a good workout. I felt good through all of it. I didn't hurt my back or wrist today. In fact I didn't even wear wrist wraps for my squats. I did some band box squats because my speed out of the hole has been poor in my squats. This was not done as heavy as the last time I did them. These felt good and I was able to sit back really far on the box. I came up fast with all of these and I was not rocking off the box at the bottom which has been a problem in the past. I decided to do some 20 rep sets on squat because I want to get my CNS firing more effectively on squat and you can only coordinate these motor patterns with a lot of good reps. I have not been squatting a lot lately and I need to get back in to it. I decided not to do my speed dealifts today because I don't want to fuck up my back and I got a lot of volume with the legs already. Instead I did 45 degree raise and seated good mornings which worked my back a lot as well as my hips, glutes, and hamstrings. My back felt pretty solid throughout this workout. I even took my belt off for my last set of 20 on squat. I need to do this more in the future because I think the belt is keeping my back and abs weak. I went really deep on the 20 rep sets because I want to get more hip and hamstring flexibility and Shinya was squatting next to me going ass to the grass with 425 so I'd have felt like a pussy if I didn't. I saw "Back's not important" and his buddy working rows and I laughed. I hope this squat volume will help me improve my flexibility, coordination, conditioning, and make my legs grow. I will try to do 20 rep sets every other week on dynamic day, and I might start doing a "by the numbers" workout on ME days after the strongman contest. I hope this extra leg work will help bring up my GH and Testosterone levels. For my next ME squat workout I plan on doing the "Offroad Workout" (4 x 4 with 405) so we'll see how that goes. Gotta Eat More!

No comments: