Saturday, May 19, 2007

Out of Commission but Under Construction

So I am out of commission for the time being due to what I believe is a slight bicep tear. I am not sure but there is not major swelling or bruising and its not excrutiating so I think it won't be a long recovery. At any rate I can't do much lifting for the next few days so I've set about building some Farmers Walk Handles for strongman training. The good news is I got all the supplies for the handles today and I think when they're all done the total material cost will be under $45 for the pair which isn't bad at all considering a comparable set from elite would cost over $200. I am fashioning them out of 6 x 6 landscaping timbers and 1" steel pipe so they should be very sturdy and last a long time. It will be nice to have them with a little thicker grip and handle than we'll likely use in the contest because then it will feel that much easier. So far they have been pretty easy to make. The only real head ache was getting the right drill bits. Now that is taken care of and I am well on my way to having my own high quality set of farmers walk handles. The only down side to this is I won't be able to go heavy with them for a while as I am waiting for my bicep to heal.

No comments: