Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Strongman Events

Log Press:
150 x 5, 150 x 4, 200 x 4, 200 x 2, 230 x 1, 230 x 1

Farmers Walk:
420 pounds total x 60'

Tire Flip:
550-600 pound tire 60' in 50 seconds

Picked up kegs loaded to various weights, Picked up Concrete slab in the likeness of the husafell stone

The events absolutely kicked my ass. I was in no kind of shape for the intensity of the events and the heat we trained them in. My cardio sucked sweaty donkey balls, and my low back felt extremely puss. I had a hard time just breathing doing the tire flip. I damn near was unable to make the last flip because I was so winded. The log press was a huge learning experience. Chuck had told me the clean was very difficult and it proved to be just that. I worked so hard to get 230 to my chest that by the time I went to press it I just missed locking it out both times. I sucked in the farmers walk because my hands have lost all their calluses since I have not been deadlifitng. I also really struggled just to stand up with the weights. But this was a tremendous learning experience. I had so much fun even though I did not do very well. I am more motivated to train and compete than ever before. Also I was so happy to see Chuck hit 2 PRs that day with a 270 log press and 210' in the farmers walk. He was also only 2/10s of a second off his best tire flip time even though he stumbled badly on one flip. I really think he has a great shot at the NSM and he's been training really hard and deserves it. I learned that I need to get my low back stronger, get stronger lats and abs, and practice the events more so my conditioning improves. After training we laid into the USA Steak Buffett pretty well and I felt like we both got our moneys worth. The thing about that hardcore training is you just want to eat everything in sight afterward. I am very excited about helping Chuck at the contest this weekend and seeing the guys I'll be competing against next year.

No comments: