Monday, July 16, 2007

A Trip to Nebraska's Strongest Man

So I was unable to compete in this years Nebraska's Strongest Man due to recovery from a bicep injury, but I went up with some friends to watch my training partner and be a handler for him and cheer him on. This was one of the happiest days of my life. I never felt more at home than I did around the athletes and some of the spectators there. Chuck put on an amazing performance and won his division. he beat out some very stiff competition and performed pretty much flawlessly. I was so happy for him. He is a great friend and a wonderful training partner and I can't think of anyone who works harder or who deserves it more. Chuck has worked through and overcome a lot of injuries to make it this far and I am really motivated and inspired to get past my injuries so I can compete at that level in the near future. Being around that kind of hard-core bad assery all day and seeing huge guys man handle heavy things has me in the right frame of mind for some awesome workouts the rest of the summer. I was so happy for Chuck. I was also very glad my other friends came out and saw what Troy, Chuck, and I train for. I think awareness of the sport is the best way for it to grow and get closer to mainstreamness. It is truly exciting and always interesting. There is so much possibilty for variance in competitions so it would be great to see more public recognition. I feel great about training and I know I have to push myself harder since my workout partner is the reigning Nebraska's Strongest Man.

No comments: